My long weekend project has me so excited... I can't hide it

I got hit with a DIY flu a couple days ago... This happens to me periodically.
I must create something, why sit around resting when I can break my back and be satisfied in my talents?

Pinterest is my go-to resource for my DIY flu - cure. I have about a hundred DIY projects saved on there just waiting for me to get the itch.

One thing I posted only a few months ago is a hammock stand...
I have always loved hammocks, even though I had never been in one until I went to Hawai'i.... Oh sweet heaven - to nap in a hammock - it is the greatest feeling.

Hammock stands in the stores, have you looked at prices?! A good average of $120 for metal stands (ugliness) and a good $300 for wood stands. HOW OUTRAGEOUS!
-- As usual I planned on making one -- One issue... this needs to be able to hold a lot of weight without falling apart... It scares me.

I was comforted when I saw this DIY wood hammock on Pinterest;
http://www.instructables.com/id/wooden-hammock/
How simple! Some pressure-treated wood and some bolts, nuts, washers, and screws and you're done!

I originally planned on buying a netted hammock like in the picture but at even $50+ that was still too much... Then I looked into making one by hand... despite how amazing that would be, I don't really have the time.
That's when it dawned on me! I will buy fabric and create a hammock.... I came to this conclusion when I came across the next photo;
http://www.bjs.com/store/castaway-by-pawleys-island-tufted-fabric-hammock-with-pillow.152306285-.html#thumbnail
Oh! The luxuriousness of it all!!!

So I bought my batting for the fill, and I am planning on using plain canvas as the material. I went to the fabric store yesterday and found canvas for $11/meter, and I would need 3 meters... I found this ridiculous once I saw that you can buy an 8'-0" x 12'-0" canvas drop cloth at Lowes and Home Depot for $25.00! 
So all I really need is some rope, chain and I decided I want the rope connected by grommets so I got rust resistant versions of those...

And then I saw something else done with canvas.... Outdoor area rugs! That would be just perfect for the outdoor dining set which is sitting on a cracked cement driveway. LOVE IT! 


It's hard to sit at work waiting for the weekend to start!

Comments

Popular Posts