My thoughts about Kijiji and Craigslist

Yes, I had down-time again. Think of my breaks as little holiday shut-downs for my creative side.

So here's the thing. I love Kijiji (for us Canadians) or Craigslist type of websites.
I don't like paying full price, even though I now work at a furniture store convincing people to spend money on good quality items.

I will spend the money when time comes to it (AKA when I don't have many dogs and children to ruin things). I plan on a nice quality couch and table in the future, but that is the extent of my spending for real, new quality.


I run to these websites for all other items. You can see that I don't have an issue with fixing some things up (no matter how long it takes).

The only thing is that people think their stuff is worth more than other people do. You have to go in with the expectation that you may lose an item if you don't want to pay full price. I have just given an offer on a coffee and end table for $15, the list price is $25, but I went in thinking that I won't pay more than $15. They need a lot of work to get them even somewhat presentable.

The way I secure a sale is; 1. Cement a price and back it up with reasons why it's so low.
and 2. Make it urgent. I told him that I will pick it up the same day if he takes the deal... So far, no deal yet, but one of the problems is that the product was listed the same day I tried to make a deal.

For the quickest answer and deal always make your offer a week or two after its listed.


I am prepared to lose the deal, but I also have the chance to watch the item and see if it is still available in a week.

I think I mentioned before, that there is a certain time of year to sell on these type of sites... close to school! University and College students are always looking for furniture (for not too bad of a price), and usually their parents pay for it!
It is now October, and the seller is not quite ready to come to terms with the fact that now is the worst time.


Darn, that reminds me... I meant to put a bunch of stuff up on Kijiji myself a few months ago. Darn.

Comments

Popular Posts