Framed indigo world

If you've read my past posts you probably came across indigo world... It's still my favourite piece of art in my house but an unfinished canvas really looks very college if you ask me.

Here's one of the easiest DIYs I can share;
  • 1 pine 1x2x8
  • 1 pine 1x2x6
  • a few brackets
  • wood stain (I like Saman)
  • used a drill bit, a saw, and a phillips head - that's it!
Seriously. Everyone should do this. This is something that looks intimidating once it's done, but it's really easy.

1. Measure the canvas. I wanted the top and bottom pieces of wood to overlap the side pieces but you can do whatever you like... just make sure you measure twice and cut once!

2. Cut the wood to size. I use a miter saw to get really straight cuts but a hand saw, a circular saw or a table saw also work. If power tools aren't your thing, a miter box may be right for you (and they're cheap!).

3. Stain the wood. I use Saman stain, Canadian Tire used to carry it but they don't anymore and I'm so upset that I considered calling them to complain... I still might...
The Saman stain is water-based, so it's ok to use in the house, and goes on really easy. The only downside is that it doesn't penetrate the wood so well... but that's not really important for this kind of application.

4. Attach the wood to the wood on the canvas with the brackets, do the corners last since the canvas isn't always perfectly square (especially if it's a little older).

5. Done! It's that easy and maybe a 30 minute job once you get the hang of it. 1 hour max.

Here's the photos of my indigo world...



I found this made the canvas look so much more expensive. Do you know what it costs to frame things?! It's insane. Seriously - DO IT YOUR SELF

Comments

Popular Posts