Bathroom update *husband screams in the background*

To my husband's horror when I ordered the kitchen cabinets I got a gift card that was valued at 10% of the kitchen order from Ikea. My online shopping fingers could not be stopped from spending free Ikea money and soon the bathroom plan came sneaking up behind Chris.

Before you all jump over on my husband's bandwagon, I only bought a new vanity and sink. So calm down!

As I finished the floor in the kitchen I already started planning how I would finish off the floor into the bathroom and laundry room. Because the flooring is a click and lock system, you really need to plan how this is going to go down when you're dealing with hallways and door frames. This planning led to the realization that we need to remove the vanity in order to put flooring under it (or keep the existing vanity). Well if I'm removing I may as well replace it right?

I built the vanity the night before, and had Chris help me remove the existing one, then I installed the floor and vanity all in one day while Chris was at work. Remember how I said GIRLS HUSTLE?!





Anyway. It was no easy task. I had to take out the toilet (timing this right after you have birthed a child is scary by the way - mothers know what I'm talking about here!), put patch on all the tiles, let the patch dry, sand the patch, lay the floor, reinstall the toilet, install the new vanity, install new plumbing, and install existing sink faucet. Now I'll be honest. I didn't get everything done before Chris got home from work... I had him help me finish the faucet and I had to finish the plumbing the next day because it was leaking. But lo and behold - bathroom renovation!

I installed a new backsplash soon after that, and we are every happy with the result.




Things I learned on the bathroom project;

- Doing what you can the night before helps speed up the process the next day

- Knowing your neighbours is a great idea when you are renovating the only bathroom in your house - you never know when you will need their toilet

- Tile DOES NOT need to be laid the conventional way

- People won't like your unconventional tile choice *cough* husband *cough*

- A wet saw is my very best friend even though it sometimes shoots pieces of tile at me (WEAR SAFETY GLASSES)




Comments

Popular Posts